Disclaimer: I received a free entry to Garmin Kansas City Marathon Million Mile Challenge to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!
This would have been my 5th year running the Garmin Kansas City Marathon events — 4th time running the half marathon. And this year was going to be the last year of that amazing downhill finish…if you have run it, YOU KNOW!
The Garmin Kansas City Marathon cancelled their in-person event early in September but that isn’t stopping me from running it VIRTUALLY later this week.
The plus side of the cancelled in-person event (if there actually is a “plus side”) is that the race director built in several contingency plans for registrants back in April :
- Modify your registration to the Million Mile Challenge
- Donate your registration fee to the Greater Kansas City Sports Commission and Foundation (and receive a 25% discount on 2021 KCM event)
- Defer registration to 2021 KCM event
As a BibRave Pro, I am running a virtual Kansas City Half Marathon later this week, picking up my swag this weekend at the Drive Through Finishers Fest, and then continuing to log my miles for the Million Mile Challenge until December 15th.
What is this Million Mile Challenge??
Let’s dive in!
Million Mile Challenge
Since the Kansa City Marathon weekend of events was called off, the KCM team wanted to create an event where participants had the opportunity to continue with their training and exercise miles and contribute to a larger goal. From August 24th thru December 15th, participants are able to log their daily steps in the form of miles to contribute to the goal of ONE MILLION MILES!
Of course there is some incentive to signing up for this adventure...
swag swag swag
As with most virtual events, there is some pretty great swag to entice. For anyone signing up after October 5th, their swag will be shipped in December once the challenge timeframe has expired :
- race-branded shirt with all of the participants names (registered before October 4th)
- large finisher’s medal
- a commemorative race bib
- digital finisher’s certificate
- a Garmin Kansas City Marathon Million Mile Challenge finisher item
- the “Ultimate Kansas City Swag Bag” which will include special offers and items from local Kansas City companies.
In addition to these awesome items all registrants in the Million Mile Challenge will receive, there will be random drawings for additional swag as the miles are tabulated daily!
100,000 miles: 100 free entries into the 2021 Garmin Kansas City Marathon (any distance)COMPLETED! 250,000 miles: 250 premium Garmin water bottlesCOMPLETED!
- 500,000 miles: 500 T-Mobile cell phone armbands
- 600,000 miles: 3 lucky participants will win $600 CASH courtesy of Missouri Lottery
- 750,000 miles: 750 Sporting Kansas City 2020 jersey bags
- 1 MILLION MILES: Heartland Coca-Cola Bottling Company will make a sizable donation to the Kansas City Sports Commission & Foundation, the non-profit organization that organizes the Garmin Kansas City Marathon.
my miles (so far)
I have already started entering my miles week to week, but I just wanted to see a total breakdown thus far.
2,000 STEPS = 1 MILE
10,000 STEPS = 5 MILES
week 1 (Aug 24) 75,159 steps
week 2 (Aug 31) 81,092
week 3 (Sept 7) 53,776
week 4 (Sept 14) 74,351
week 5 (Sept 21) 77,991
week 6 (Sept 28) 61,442
week 7 (Oct 5) 51,894
TOTAL (week 1-7) = 475,705 steps
So far, I have logged 237 miles into the Million Mile Challenge Distance Tracker!
Once you sign up for the Million Mile Challenge, you can go back to August 24th and start checking your steps to calculate your miles! As you enter your miles, you are entered to receive the prizes mentioned above.
What are you waiting for? Go sign up for the Million Mile Challenge and start logging your miles!
How do you stay motivated?
Would an event like the Million Mile Challenge keep you motivated to keep moving?