Disclaimer: I received a pair of Under Armour HOVR Sonic shoes to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!
Oh boy! I am a sucker for trying new shoes. When the opportunity came up for a second time to try the Under Armour HOVR Sonic, I jumped for joy! I had read the previous BibRave Pro reviews and I was looking to purchase a pair before the chance to test and review them as a Pro.
This round, the BibRave Pros received the non-connected edition of the HOVR Sonic – the only difference being that the “connected” version has UA’s Record Sensor™ built into the shoe that provides data to your phone about your run. Since I use my running watch for most of my running data, I wasn’t too upset that I didn’t have the connected shoes. The remaining specs (provided on the website) are the same for both the connected and non-connected editions :
- UA HOVR™ technology provides ‘zero gravity feel’ to maintain energy return that helps eliminate impact step after step
- Compression mesh Energy Web contains & molds UA HOVR™ foam to give back the energy you put in
- NEUTRAL: For runners who need a balance of flexibility & cushioning
- Soft knit upper dries fast & provides a breathable, compression-like fit that delivers lightweight directional strength & unmatched comfort to help you go the distance
- Ventilated midfoot panel increases breathability
- Unique tongue construction is attached to the footbed by stretchable support wings to maintain a snug fit throughout the foot
- External TPU heel counter for additional support & structure
- Removable, anti-microbial Ortholite® sockliner molds to the foot for customized comfort & cushion
- Blown rubber under the forefoot is lightweight yet incredibly responsive
- High-abrasion rubber placed under the heel to help absorb ground contact
- Offset: 8mm
- Weight: 9.6oz
Under Armour HOVR Sonic | Friday Five
To be honest, I have put in over 400 miles in 60+ separate workouts (ranging from 1-20+ miles) in these shoes – so they are starting to wear down a little… but I am digging into the memory bank for my favorite features!
The comfort of the UA HOVR™ technology is great! The UA HOVR™ foam feels plush and light when I am running or walking. I wouldn’t say I am flying, but I can have enjoyed the “zero gravity feel” and energy return. I have noticed the lingering pep in my step through the longer miles – a great feeling!
2 mesh upper
The mesh upper trend is hot – and feels amazing! I have a wide foot, so the mesh uppers feel more like a sock and less like a stiff shoe. The breathability is great – except when you step off the trail and something that makes you super itchy and it gets into your shoe. The top of my foot is still torn up…but will heal. Also, the mesh is great in poor weather (i.e. rain) because the water just squishes right out – hello RnR Chicago last weekend!
3 colors offered
I am a sucker for brightly colored shoes! While I tested the black/white version, there are several fun colors to choose from. I would go for the red or blue in future purchases… 😉
4 neutral fit
While I have shoes from minimalist to stability, I liked the neutral fit of the UA HOVR Sonic. I find that I wear these shoes just as much on the road/trail as I do throughout the workday. So, this probably means that I need a dedicated running shoe and a dedicated work shoe…
5 well constructed
I have put some big miles on these shoes in the several weeks I have been testing them. I have not noticed any visible wear and tear on the outsole, but i’m sure I would feel the difference when I put a new pair on.
Did I say I was getting a second pair…? Maybe. ♥
I am very happy with these shoes! The UA HOVR Sonic has a light, breathable, comfortable ride. While the black/white I tested isn’t always my color of choice, it worked out great as I trained for the Hospital Hill and Rock ‘n’ Roll Chicago races. I would recommend that anyone give them a try! For $100 for non-connected edition (and $10 more for the connected), you won’t be completely breaking the bank.
My fellow BibRave Pro’s also went through various features on their review posts as well. Be sure to check them out!
Juan Katie Alastair Amanda C Amy S Aubrene Barb Kim P Ben B.J. Christine Corey Amy P Amy W Dawana Shannon Janelle Jenn S Jenn Z Karen Kate Kim T Maria Melissa Michael Lisa Josh Rachel Rory Mary Lissa Kevin Samantha Logan Whitney